- The Southern Gateway to Dartmoor
About Ashburton News and Events Things to Do Where to Stay Business Directory Town Council Information Centre
View of Ashburton
Back to Home Page

Here are just a few of the many buildings who's history or architecture make them Important Ashburton landmarks:

The Card House now a small supermarket, this building was formerly a Gaming House. The slate hung frontage is carved with the different suits of a pack of cards.

The Mermaid Inn; this hardware store formerly the Mermaid Inn with its medieval granite arched doorway was where General Fairfax the Civil War Roundhead leader stayed.

The Golden Lion originally built in 1790 for Nicholas Tripe, a surgeon. It was the home of publican Alan Hope and the Monster Raving Loony Party until 2000 and is now private houses.

United Reform Church now an antique fireplace emporium. Ashburton's earliest Nonconformist Church, which finally closed in the 1980s still retains much of its features including stained glass windows and memorials on the walls.

 Churches and Architecture
Ashburton's extensive history is today best seen through its buildings and architecture. The historical architectural diversity is evident throughout the town, with some buildings dating back over 1000 years.

Most notable for its History is the Chapel of St Lawrence which is now a heritage centre and has its own page on this site. There are now only three working churches in Ashburton, all shown below and all very different in their architecture and history.

 The Parish Church of St Andrew
The Church is a distinguished building with an impressive exterior and a magnificent tower 92 feet high. Near the base of the tower is the grave of a French Officer Prisoner of War who died just one month after the Battle of Waterloo, a reminder that many French prisoners were billeted here on parole during the Napoleonic Wars.

The Church was erected at the end of the twelfth century and entirely re-built in the fifteenth. The excellent proportions outside are reflected in the interior. Noteworthy is the long wagon roof, the arches and piers of the nave (one pier is a monolith), the memorial to Lord Dunning (penned by his friend the lexicographer, Samuel Johnson), the first Lord of Ashburton, in the South Transept Chapel and the ancient Parish Chest in the North Transept Chapel.

Well-to-do members of the tinners and wool merchant guilds, both of which had Guild Chapels in the transepts, made the re-building of the church possible.

St Andrews have their own website at

 Ashburton's Methodist Church
When John Wesly, the founder of the Methodist Church, originally passed through Ashburton he declared it was "the most heathen town he had ever visited". (Although to be fair he was inclined to say this about most towns he passed through!)

Eventually a 'House Church' was established on Woodland Road which led to the building of the Ashburton Methodist Church in 1835.

Today the church is not only used for worship, weddings and funerals, but also for play-groups, theatre societies and community groups.

 Catholic Church of Our Lady of Lourdes and St. Petroc
In 1882, when the Benedictine monks came to Buckfast, there was not one Catholic in Ashburton to greet them.

Two decades later, however, the situation was different, and it was then that Abbot Boniface Natter decided to revive Catholic life in the vicinity.

The first Mass was celebrated in 1911 in a temporary chapel in a barn in Roborough Lane. The present site in Eastern Road was acquired in 1933, and in November 1935, the Church of Our Lady and St. Petroc was opened.

Content provided and maintained by:
Ashburton Town Council & Ashburton Information Centre
Site by Integralvision - Integralvision logo and site link
Back to Home Page

all content © 2004 unless otherwise stated. No part of this site may be reproduced without written permission from Ashburton Town Council.
With special thanks to John Germon and Peter Webb for their supply of content without which this site would not have been produced.